[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]It’s never nice to have your dentist tell you that you need a filling, but at least you were not alone. The vast majority of people will require a filling at least once in their lifetime, and as dental procedures go, fillings are fairly simple, and very well practiced by dentists everywhere, including here at Crawford Leishman Dental in Vineyard, Utah, so if you do need to have one, it’s really nothing to worry about.
If you are worried about the prospect of having dental fillings, perhaps knowing a little bit more about them would help? If so, read on.
What are Dental fillings?
Fillings are used to fill and repair cavities. Unfortunately, when there is a hole in your tooth, that tooth will not be able to repair itself, so your dentist will need to fill that cavity with another substance.
What are fillings made from?
Fillings can be made from a number of materials, but the most common are:
A silvery-grey colored substance that is made by mixing numerous metals including silver, copper, tin, and mercury.
A natural tooth-colored substance that is made from a mixture of glass and resin.
Another naturally tooth-colored option that bonds chemically with your tooth to release fluoride in the hopes of allowing further decay to set it.
Do I need a filling?
Your dentist is the best person to tell you if you need a filling, but it may be possible for you to determine this yourself by using a small mirror to examine your teeth, If you spot any small holes, spots of discoloration, or other anomalies, it could be that you have a cavity and an x-ray will be required to determine the problem.
What is the process for getting fillings?
If you require fillings, you may be nervous, but our dentists in Vineyard, Utah will take good care of you.
- First of all, we will administer a local anesthetic to numb the area.
- Next, we will remove any decay present in the tooth using a drill to get through the enamel to the dentine.
- Once that’s done, we will prepare the space for the filling by correctly shaping it and ensuring that it is fully clear of decay or infection. At this stage, we may also apply medication or a baseliner to protect your pulp. This is a great way to stop your tooth from feeling too sensitive.
- If you’re having a bonded filling, such as a composite filling, we’ll next etch the tooth using an acid gel. This will make a number of minute holes that the bonding material will fill when your fillings are put into place.
- Next, the filling will be carefully positioned and filed, and polished so that your bite is as natural as possible.
This may sound a bit scary, but it’s actually a very simple procedure that will be over and done with in no time at all, and although you may feel some discomfort for a few hours afterwards, during the procedure, you won’t feel a thing.
Dental Fillings by Crawford Leishman Dental
When it comes to fillings, you can trust Crawford Leishman Dental to take good care of you. Get in touch with us in Vineyard, Utah by calling (801) 225-5888. [/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]